Last night, Jen and I started “Reading God’s Story” together for 2012. We wanted to ask you to:
- please pray for us as we embark on this journey to read the entire Bible in Chronological form in 2012 with our four oldest kids.
- please pray for our church family and five other church families in our community who have committed to do this in 2012.
- please consider doing the same with your family! :) It is an awesome way to cultivate the Good News of the near Jesus and learn and live His ways together.
Here’s the deal – reading the Bible is not a “check-list” thing to do, unless you are simply “living FOR God.” But, if you are wanting daily to live WITH God, then listening for His leading and responding in love and obedience is crucial on a moment by moment basis. AND, in order to do this, you have to discern among the many “voices” in our everyday what are His promptings and what are not. AND, in order to discern that, you need to be able to recognize His promptings. AND, in order to recognize them, you need to be familiar with who He is and what He does. SO, in order to be familiar with that, be familiar with His Word – the Bible, His story of His love for His people and what He did to restore us as He intended.
It’s kind of like this. If you are immersed in the Scriptures and you are listening for His leading in the daily, then you might sense a prompting and then ask, “Does that sound like Him? I think so. It sure does seem like what I have read about Him in the Bible.”
Also, don’t read the Bible for the sake of reading the Bible. Read it and ask one simple question – if this stuff is true and the story of this God is for real, then how will I walk daily with Him, grateful for His grace, growing in His love, gripped by His mission, and groaning to obey all that He prompts me to do.
Imagine what could actually happen if we set out to simply know God and make Him known together this year!!!
I mentioned that for this year we have been encouraging the Westpoint Church family along with other church families what are part of “the Church of West Orange” to get READING GOD’S STORY if they are able to do so. It is a chronological Bible put together by Dr. George Guthrie, a professor and author on faculty with Union University in Jackson, TN. It is broken down into daily Bible readings six days a week for 52 weeks.
- Click here to order it from Amazon.com. If you want to get it for Kindle, click here.
- If you want TO LISTEN TO THE DAILY “READING GOD’S STORY” READING IN AUDIO VERSION, click here for the podcast from iTunes or click here for a version from SoundBlast.
- If you don’t want to purchase the chronological Bible but want to read along in the same way as those who do, click here for a link to a 2-page PDF of the chronological reading plan for the 52 weeks that you can use with any version of the Bible that you might have.
- If you have an iPhone, there is an awesome app that goes along with the Read the Bible for Life plan. This is not just another “read the Bible in a year” plan. It is an app full of rich resources along with video and audio content that helps you better understand and obey the Scriptures. Click here for the link for the app.
- And finally, click here for the full website with more info and more online resources that go along with “Reading God’s Story.”
Praying this will be a valuable and fruitful resource for you and your family.